Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

'dr rat' dies from lung cancer

By DAVID BREWSTER, Trinidad Express

WINSTON BRUCE, populary known as "Dr Rat", died yesterday at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope from lung cancer. He was 59.

Bruce, lean and standing over six feet with a rasta- hair style, was a former captain of Amoco Renegades who had the reputation for calling all the shots for the champion steelband side.

He grew up in the Belmont Orphanage, and emerged as a feared city “badjohn” and unforgettable character in the 1960s and 70s.

He survived a bullet to the groin in the late 70s during an argument close to his home on Observatory Street, and was once shot in the stomach during a cross fire with police.

But a close friend , Derrick Samuel, said yesterday that despite his battles with the law, the “Doctor” was a “misunderstood man”

"He was my personal friend for years. He confided in me and he told me he was accused wrongfully dozens of time. I know him as a kind, loving and free handed man. He will go into a club and buy drinks for everybody. He had many friends in high places," Samuel said.

Bruce started coughing up chunks of blood last year, and Samuel said he followed the doctor’s orders to stop smoking and drinking but he knew he was fighting a tough enemy in lung cancer.

Bruce’s condition reached a critical stage two weeks ago and doctors fought to save his life by removing one of his lungs.

"He needed six pints of blood and had no problem in getting donors. He was a big favourite in areas like Observatory Street where he lived most of his life", Samuel said.

Bruce, who worked as foreman at the National Housing Association (NHA) Rehabilitation Programme prior to his death, is survived by his four children.

Funeral arrangements will be announced today.

Messages In This Thread

'dr rat' dies from lung cancer
Re: 'dr rat' dies from lung cancer
Re: 'dr rat' dies from lung cancer
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com