Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Dhansook wants protection

Immunity but no freedom

By Radhica Sookraj, www.guardian.co.tt

Though he says he has been given immunity from prosecution by the State in return for his testimony into corruption allegations against two PNM MPs, PNM Councillor Dhansam Dhansook is now calling for state protection.

His comments came as residents in his own community also called on the State to offer Dhansook protection.

In an interview yesterday, Dhansook said he was risking his life by giving sworn testimony against two former Government Ministers, yet the State has offered him no security.

"Immunity was offered to me and I accepted but other than that, I really have no protection from the State. I need protection because right now I am fearful for my life," Dhansook said.

He called for unbiased reporting from the media.

"I don’t want any sensationalism. I want the media to be honest and fair in their reporting," Dhansook said.

He said he was grateful for the outpouring of community love and support he has received since charges were laid against former Works Minister Franklin Khan last November and Minister Eric Williams over the weekend.

Williams appeared before a Port-of-Spain magistrate yesterday.

Dhansook said although some sections of the country were not supportive of his decision, he was used to public pressure.

He said: "I think the public pressure is really not affecting me. I am accustomed to that and I take pride in knowing that my own people support me," Dhansook said.

He said churches throughout the Rio Claro and Mayaro areas were praying for him. "This has made me very happy because I know what I’m doing is right," Dhansook said.

He said as soon as the trial is over, he planned to migrate. Dhansook said two of his children are already abroad and it is only a matter of time before the other children leaves.

Dhansook added that he had 100 per cent faith in T&T’s judicial system in the wake of the filing of seven charges of misconduct in public office against Williams.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news2.html

Messages In This Thread

Dhansook wants protection
Ex-minister in court on corruption charges
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com